Skip to Content FDA Issues Warning on E-Cigarette Liquids Resembling Cough Syrup
THURSDAY, April 4, 2019 — Warning letters have been sent to two companies that make and sell electronic cigarette liquids that look like prescription cough syrups, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Thursday.
The identified products in the warning letters to Undisputed Worldwide and EZ Fumes include: Double Cup Liquids Spritech Lemon Lime E-Juice Syrup and Double Cup Liquids Pineapple Phantom E-Juice Syrup e-liquid products. They have labeling and advertising that imitate the prescription cough syrup products Actavis Prometh with Codeine and Hi-Tech Promethazine Hydrochloride and Codeine, respectively, according to the FDA.
"By deliberately making or selling e-liquid products that look like prescription cough syrups, these companies are putting adults and children at risk of nicotine poisoning. The products are being designed in ways that make them falsely appear to be ingestible. These actions are egregious," FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., said in an agency news release. "The products not only use labeling with statements, representations and graphical elements that imitate legitimate cough medications, but they also have a list of ingredients that mimics a drug facts label."
There has been a recent surge in child poisonings due to consumption of liquid nicotine. Small children who consume liquid nicotine can suffer severe harm, including death from cardiac arrest, as well as seizure, coma, and respiratory arrest, the FDA said.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: April 2019
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Latest Drug Information Updates
- Mayzent Mayzent (siponimod) is a sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor modulator for the treatment of secondary…
- Sunosi Sunosi (solriamfetol) is a selective dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (DNRI) for the treatment…
- Zulresso Zulresso (brexanolone) is a gamma-aminobutyric acid A (GABAA) receptor positive allosteric modulator…
- Spravato Spravato (esketamine) is a rapid acting, nasal spray formulation of a non-competitive N-methyl D-aspartate…
- Jeuveau Jeuveau (prabotulinumtoxinA) is a botulinum toxin type A formulation for the temporary improvement in the…
- Ultomiris Ultomiris (ravulizumab-cwvz) is a long-acting C5 complement inhibitor for the treatment of paroxysmal…
- More updates
Get Email Updates
Subscribe to free Drugs.com newsletters.