Michele Sibiloni/AFP/Getty Images
- A toilet called the iThrone uses a breathable membrane to absorb water out of waste.
- Poop is mostly water, so the dehydrated feces shrink down. That means the toilet only needs to be emptied once a month.
- The toilet also doesn't need to be flushed, so it can operate without plumbing or power.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more.
A decade ago, Diana Yousef was working as an advisor for NASA, trying to figure out how to recycle wastewater in space. Her team was studying a breathable material that could absorb clean water out of waste, but the idea didn't get off the ground.
"It sort of hung around in my brain for a number of years while I was doing other things," Yousef told Business Insider.See the rest of the story at Business Insider
- A lawyer who represents cruise-ship workers reveals one thing passengers do that's terrible for some crew members
- The best checked luggage you can buy
- 24 signs you have a terrible boss, and how to stop them from crushing your happiness